Planning the Perfect Family Reunion
For those of us blessed with a large extended family, carving out the time see everyone can be tricky, if not impossible, especially if families live throughout the country. Spending time with family can be a bit like when the carnival rolls into town. We want to ride every ride but only have a limited time before it moves on to the next town. Sadly, our time with our family is also limited. While it would be great to visit each individual cousin, aunt, uncle, and so on individually, it just is not practical. The best way to spend time with family in the most efficient manner for everyone is to get together for a family reunion.
But planning a family reunion is no easy feat. Multiple families, schedules, ages, parts of the country. Where do you even begin to pull together a large event that can accommodate everyone’s needs?
Below is a top 10 checklist of things to consider when planning the ultimate family reunion:
- Date– pick a date well in advance (typically a year) that works for everyone. Secure the date and drive all planning logistics and communication towards that date.
- Location– location of the event is one of the most important things to consider for a family reunion. Making sure enough space to accommodate all guests, sleeping accommodations, food preparation, entertainment, and other amenities should be fully considered when choosing location.
- Cost– Families need to budget for vacations. Plan for costs in advance. Don’t leave families out because of costs. Large group discounts. Look for venues who allow scheduled payments for the rental.
- Food– Feeding large groups is not cheap. Plan for meals as a group. Share costs. Prepare food as a family to cut down on costs.
- Entertainment– plan for entertainment to accommodate different ages, and activity levels. Plan for fun and memories!
- Overnight Accommodations– Make sure to accomodate everyone when looking for overnight accomodations! Sleeping couples? kids? babies? grandparents? Any disabilities to consider?
- Communication– use different planning apps, create a facebook group, text group.
- Travel– consider everyone’s travel needs, drive, fly, train, bus
- Celebrations– celebrate your family members accomplishments and new chapters in their life while you are together (marriages, babies, birthdays, anniversaries, retirements, graduations etc)
- Capturing the moments– plan for the pictures! A group picture? Even potentially hire a photographer. Plan for way for family members to share their pictures from the event. example : share in facebook group.
Since the planning involved usually falls onto a main family member or two, any arrangements that can ease some of the stress of event planning should be made in order to optimize the amount of fun and lasting memories.
Between coordinating dates and times, the planner has plenty to handle. Summers are the best time because the children are out of school, but the hardest part is choosing a venue that works best for the entire family and allows families more flexibility in travel. Finding a venue that is large enough to accommodate your group is critically important and must include amenities to accommodate all of the different needs of your guests from all ages.
Luckily a great solution exists for this problem and it is called, “Norris Outdoor Adventure.” Even though just having the opportunity to see our family is enough to fill the familial void in our hearts, parties are better when there are fun activities to serve as a backdrop for reconnecting.
Norris Outdoor Adventure’s eight bedroom lodge right on Lake Norris is the perfect place to host an entire clan.
The lake provides an equal balance of recreation and leisure for guests. For leisure, guests have access to the beach and patio. In terms of fun, Norris Outdoor has no lack of entertainment.
Guests guests can have lake fun on the high dive, water slides, floating volcano mancave, canoes, kayaks, and paddle boats. Those are just examples of fun things to do in the water. The property also has sand pits for horseshoes and volleyball, multiple yard games, a basketball hoop, fire pits.
With the Peoria General Wayne Airport 20 minutes from Norris Lake, travel to the lake is easy for family members who are traveling from out of state. For larger families who need to sleep more than 23 overnight,
Norris Lake accommodates tent and RV camping. A great amenity for the members of the family who want to be closer to the elements.
Come spend the week at the lake and plan the ultimate family get-together! Plan a family sporting competition or night party on the beach with amazing home cooked food and spirits.
Roast a hog or plan a bbq, fish fry or crawfish boil. Do it your way and celebrate your family and togetherness all along the way!!!
Norris Outdoor has provides the perfect venue to create your own personalized family event for all ages.
*Remaining weeks available for 2020 Lake Season: 5/24, 5/31, 6/14, 6/21, 7/12
The property allows space for canopies, tables, even a dance floor, making it not just the perfect location for a family reunion, but a gathering of any size. Although the space is broad enough for huge families, the seclusion of the lake allows for intimate groups to become even closer with rental pricing available for groups up to 14 or groups up to 23.